How to Install the Eclipse Groovy Plugin
These instructions are from the official Groovy website.
Before you begin the installation, first make sure to a recent version of Eclipse. I am using Eclipse 3.4.1 for my installation.
Installing the plugin from within Eclipse:
- Go to Help -> Software Updates
- Switch to the Available Software tab
- Click on Add Site
- In the Location text box paste this url: http://dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/update/ and press OK
- Click the boxes next to the groovy features you would like installed and then click on the Install button
- Click Finish to go ahead with the install.
If you have any problems or encounter errors during the install, have no fear! There is another way:
- Download the .zip from http://dist.codehaus.org/groovy/distributions/update/GroovyEclipse.zip
- Extract the content of the .zip into the Eclipse \plugins and \features directories.
The next time you restart Eclipse, you should have a working Groovy plugin.
Note: I have installed this plugin on multiple versions of Eclipse and have always had to use this second option. The Groovy plugin has many dependencies within Eclipse that I can’t be bothered to track down and fix. In the end, the .zip method still manages to get the Groovy plugin installed correctly.